The Independent Benevolent Society, incorporated with the State of New York in 1915, continues its 100 year objective to perpetually operate and maintain a Jewish cemetery and provide a suitable and decent burial for its deceased members. The society's chapel and cemetery located on Fuller Road in Albany, New York has had a long relationship serving the Jewish community of New York's Capital District, beginning in 1843 as the Society of Brotherly Love and later in 1855 becoming the Hebrew Benevolent Society.

At the age of 18 those of the Jewish faith, regardless of synagogue affiliation or non-affiliation are eligible for membership. Upon attaining membership, each member in good standing is entitled to an assigned plot and additional benefits under the organization's constitution.

The Society's initiation fees are based on the age of the applicant at the time of joining. All members receive burial benefits.

Two meetings are held each year, open to the entire membership, ensuring their needs and the needs of the organization are met.

To honor those who have served our country, a Memorial Day service will be held on May 27, 2018 at 11AM.

All graves on the Independent Benevolent Society cemetery are visited annually in conjunction with the society's "Remembrance Service" held before the High Holidays.  The 2018 service will be held at our chapel on September 2, 2018 at 11AM.  All members, family and friends are invited to attend.

 

 

For more information please contact:

Lawrence Schechter
President
(518) 786-6279
or
Jerry Zusman
Cemetery Co-Chair
(518) 438-1202
2012, Independent Benevolent Society, All Rights Reserved

Web Services by Web World Solutions